Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Cornbread or Biscuits?

I have come to realize there are 2 kinds of people in the world:  those who prefer cornbread and those who prefer biscuits.  Both are huge in the South.  Some marriages exist because the wife makes amazing biscuits,  although fewer seem to rely on cornbread for marital bliss.
 
I am a cornbread person.  I would eat it every day if possible.  I love it plain or with add-ins.  I even like it fried and called dodgers (hush puppies for those above the mason-dixon line.  My husband is a biscuit person, DUH.  It would be too easy for us both to appreciate the same bread.  I like biscuits.  They are a great receptacle for jelly and syrup.  But I hate making biscuits.  Flour goes everywhere and makes me sneeze.  Not to mention it can be temperamental if you over mix it.  But the worst offense is, it's made with shortening.  As far as I'm concerned, shortening only belongs in one place, frosting!

Today I thought I would share with you my recipe for Cornbread.  Actually it's my mother's recipe, who got it from her mother.  But it's mine now!  This MUST be made in a cast iron skillet. ( Cornbread is also a great way to season your skillet!)




Cornbread
serves 3-4
Oven 425, preheat

1.  Heat the skillet on the stove, on high.  Add 1 TBLS. of oil and swirl around the pan to coat.  While the pan heats make the cornbread.

2.  In a mixing bowl combine:
    1/4 c. self-rising flour
    3/4 c. corn meal mix

3.  In a small bowl combine:
     1 egg
     1/2 c. milk
     Oil, from the hot skillet, be careful it is hot and can burn.

4.  Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture.  Stir until well blended.
5.  Pour mixture into the hot, greased skillet (small cast iron skillet), about 8in.
6.  Cook in a hot oven for 25 mins.

This can be easily doubled for a crowd.

Enjoy
-caren

No comments: